This badge is one of a large collection of badges created by the Hussey family of Healesville, Victoria, during and after the First World War. It is believed that the collection was begun by William Hussey, who enlisted in 1917 and was killed in action in 1918. The collection was later added to by other members of the family.
This badge is typical of the many badges produced to appeal to Australians to support the war effort in a variety of ways. In this instance the appeal is to boycott imported German goods, with the ultimate aim of crippling Germany’s war effort and helping to end the war. Badges like this were sold in trams and buses, at railway stations and at rallies supporting the war effort.